Briton requested a few oldies but goodies for dinners this week! So…. I busted out the photo album that holds all of our favorite recipes! It was kind of fun to glance back at recipes I made throughout the years! We landed on “Sausage Rolls”, and I realized that I had never made these for the kids! So while 90% of the time, we try to eat healthy, it is fun to splurge 10% of the time on a recipe like sausage rolls!! The kids absolutely loved these and can’t wait to have them again!
2 loaves frozen bread thawed
1 1/2-2 pounds Italian sausage
1 chopped onion
4 cups mozzarella cheese
1 egg white
Homemade BBQ sauce (See recipe below)
1. Roll thawed bread into rectangles approximately 8″x16″.
2. Brown sausage. Then strain, rinse, and return to skillet.
3. Add chopped onion and saute.
4. Add enough BBQ sauce to coat.
5. Spread sausage mixture down the center of dough and top with cheese.
6. Fold ends in and then fold sides over.
7. Use the egg white to seal the dough.
8. Sprinkle a sheet pan with corn meal.
9. Carefully place sausage roll on pan seam side down and brush the top with egg white.
10. Let rise 20-30 minutes.
11. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes and serve with extra warm BBQ sauce.
1/4 cup oil
3/4 cup chopped onion
3 cloves of minced garlic
1 cup ketchup
1 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup worcestershire
1 tablespoon dry mustard
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 cup brown sugar
1. Saute oil, onion, and garlic.
2. Add remaining ingredients.
3. Simmer for 25 minutes.
Makes 1 quart.
I hope your family enjoys this as much as our family does!
** This post contains affiliate links. **